Re: [NTLK] New Newton

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 21:14:20 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 9/6/01 4:43 PM, the entity known
as Jon Glass transmitted the following from jonglass_at_usa.net:

> on 9/6/01 4:41 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:
>
>> OK, here's a different thought... Several times throughout the Mac's
>> history, companies have come up that offered alternate machines. This was
>> NOT cloning, but rather they'd essentially strip the guts of an existing Mac
>> and remanufacture it into something new. (I'm particularly thinking of the
>> Outbound (?) portable. But there's a place that does conversions to make
>> rack-mount iMacs.) So, if anyone's looking for an entrepreneurial
>> opportunity... ;-)
>
> The problem comes back to software. How do you sync it? How do you make it
> compatible with USB? The list goes on...

Well, if it's just a repackaging in a smaller package, perhaps with real
ports instead of a dongle, then there's no software problem. Conceivably a
company that would do this might develop a docking cradle as well. I
suppose w/ a little R&D one could convert the serial connection into a USB
connection, even if it's just with an onboard serial-USB converter. In
fact, these sort of improvements are exactly why one would pay to have their
Newt repackaged.

- Eric.