Re: [NTLK] New Newton User

From: Daniel Smith (djoannidi_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 16:25:31 EDT

If you 're looking for PC-Newton Connection via Serial Port (Com1) you
should look for a couple of items. Unfortunately I can't recall the Part
number for the serial cable (DB-15-DIN-9). The serial dongle you mention
will only allow DIN-9 to connect with the Interconnect port of the Newton
MessagePad or eMate 300.

Now, the good news. MacResQ is selling the "Quicktake Connection Kit for
Windows" at a low US$9.99 on clearance. This includes the trusty
DB-15-->DIN-9 serial cable. Combine the trusty cable with your dongle, and
you have a complete package for serial connections. (You can always throw
out the quicktake software and box.)
http://www.macresq.com/store/detail.las?-token.prod=145&-token.1=20010919-13
1645-2595

Also, UNNA has archives of the NCU (95-NT) an Newton Connection Utilities
compatible with Win 9x,ME,2000,NT. (free)

If you also download the Serial57600.pkg to your eMate, and edit the
registry entries for NCU
Use RegEdit, and look for something like this in your Registry:
(from Windows 2K Pro, * was my User Number)

[HKEY_USERS\*\Software\Apple\Newton Connection Utilities\Communications]
"COM1"="enabled COM1:57600,n,8,1 Serial 0 : "
"COM2"="disabled COM2:9600,n,8,1 Serial 0 : "
"COM3"="disabled COM3:38400,n,8,1 Serial 0 : "
"COM4"="disabled COM4:38400,n,8,1 Serial 0 : "

To summarize, keep in mind the following:
1) Serial Cable with compatible pin-outs for PC COM Ports
2) http://www.MacResQ.com has clearance sale US$9.99+S/H on QuickTake
Connection Kit for Windows that includes a compatible Serial Cable
3) http://www.unna.org/ has NCU for Windows to allow
backup/transfer/installation of packages.
4) Serial57600.pkg will enhance communications between eMate and PC, but
requires you edit the registry for NCU

Goodbye and Good luck,

--
Daniel Joannidi Smith