Re: [NTLK] play "MP3" files how to do it

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 16:59:46 EDT

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:48:47 -0700, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> At 03:05 AM 8/23/01, Mark Rollins <mark_at_mrollins.com> wrote:
>
> >I just found the best way to work with MP3 files; part of this was
> >written up before.
>
> I see, so you're installing the sound icon and using Sunrise as
> a very simple "player".
>
> There's one other solution you should try.
>
> Go to Deep Focus Designs web page for their Sound Icons.
>
> <http://deepfocus.com/newton/SoundIcons.shtml>
>
> Download "AllRegisteredSI.sit" and install.
>
> When you tap on it, you'll get a popup list of all sounds
> registered to the system. Tap a sound name and off it goes.
>
> It still doesn't solve the problem of not being able to
> FF/RW/Pause/Stop. :-( I don't know of any software that will
> allow this kind of control for a system sound.

but what would be really cool is, I suppose you could have a directory of
soundfiles on your card, and you could run them (like the CD player on the
Mac but without the CDs, of course!) in the background perhaps, memory
allowing, while you are amending your sketches or editing your notes, &c.
Surely as the file is spooled through its own piece of memory a system
variable would keep track of what point in the file is being played at the
moment and would register the end-of-file and the file details would include
its length anyway so it should not be too difficult, at least in theory, to
re-set this counter to the beginning of the sound file or move it back to
any given point in the file before the "resume playing" option is chosen. It
should be possible for the processor of the machine to use "interrupts" to
break from playing the file to checking what is happening with the
stylus-input or keyboard before resuming, a couple of bytes being used to
temporarily store the register contents: that's the theory but I'd like to
see it done!
<\;-) John J.