Re: [NTLK] airports and Newts [Tangent: Amtrak]

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 14:57:37 EDT

on 9/28/01 2:24 PM, Murray, Tom at TMurray_at_usequities.com wrote:

> I was "stuck" in Philly during the disaster and ended up having to take a 17
> hour (no joke) trip to Chicago. I don't want to get into a long tread on
> terrorism, but here's my take on this. First of all, when I boarded the
> train at 6:30am the lady told us that the train was COMPLETELY FULL. When
> we got on it was approx. half full...at best. I was waiting to get to
> Pittsburgh for the rest of the train to fill up...it never did. Amtrak has
> been steadily loosing money for the last couple of years...I can now see
> why. As far as security is concerned...there was NONE whatsoever. I don't
> want to give anyone ideas, but they allow you to walk on with 2 bags (good
> sized ones, not those littluns like on planes) and you can check in 3
> bags/boxes. Needless to say, after 9/11/01 I was quite concerned. So, if
> you don't mind the time (got a couple books to read) and you aren't
> concerned about security, then I'd say go for it.

I agree with that. This summer, for some reason, I ended taking the train to
bring me back from Quebec to Washington (14 hours, from St. Albans, VT to
Union Station in DC). Yes, it's a very long trip. However, you have plenty
of room to seat and I was pleased that they provided AC-compatible outlet.
So, I've been watching movies during almost all the trip, using my
PowerBook...

-Laurent.

Microsoft: The new Evil Empire (the old one was IBM). The basic complaints
are, as formerly with IBM, that (a) their system designs are horrible
botches, (b) we can't get source to fix them, and (c) they throw their
weight around a lot. See also Halloween Documents.