Re: [NTLK] Asking again... - how not to set up a wireless network..

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 12:53:45 EST

Well Jim, I'm not quite sure where your going with this but I'll try to
answer...

Jim Witte wrote:
> I thought the whole idea of a wireless network was that it was like a
> wired network in that it was platform independent - beyond the obvious
> need for an 802.11 interface.

It is platform independent.

> Doesn't the idea of having different
> machine type "zones" kind of defeat the purpose?

[I assume you are talking about the SSID on the Access Point (to which
the WaveLAN driver for the Newton has it set to use "Newton").]

The reason for the SSID's is to keep wireless clients from acidently
connecting to a neighboring access point.

The use od SSID's are NOT REQUIRED for every wireless setup. The only
reason we currently use them with connecting Newtons is because the
software driver on the Newton is set this way, and can not be changed.

> Unless you're talking
> about the position of physical servers that create the data
> encapsulation for MacOS, Windows, Linux, not the places from which you
> can access the data. But even so, doesn't basically everything support
> VPC in some form or another (exempting Newt for now)?

By VPC do you mean "Virtual PC"? I don't think you mean this but I don't
know what else it means.