[NTLK] Jaggies fixed

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 00:48:17 EDT

A few weeks back, my MP2100 suddenly developed a severe case of alignment
wonkiness, followed quickly by very bad jaggies that rendered my green
friend almost unusable. I tried every trick mentioned here recently that
didn't involve disassembly, but nothing worked.

Then I realized that it had all started on the day that I had received a
shipment of some accessories including a leather case, a dongle, and -- [cue
ominous music] -- a modem card that I had popped into the top slot for
testing and then forgotten about. So, I removed the modem card. I noticed
it was unusually tight and hard to pull out. As soon as it was out, the
jaggies and alignment problems completely disappeared. It's been fine for
over a week now, so I feel confident concluding that it was the too-tight
card that was the culprit. (I haven't yet done the obvious experiment of
putting the card back in to see if they return. Partly because I've been
too busy, and partly because I just can't stand the thought of seeing the
jaggies again this soon.)

The offending card doesn't look any thicker than my other communications
cards, but it felt much tighter trying to remove it.

I guess this lends support to the case misalignment/dirt around the edge of
the screen theories, although there could well be multiple causes. For
example, I have a spare MP2100 that has a very consistent minor misalignment
in the lower left of the screen that is unaffected by brain wipes, removing
all cards, realigning the pen, cleaning under the screen bezel, etc. And it
has no jaggies. So it could well be a different cause.

Anyway, I hope my too-tight modem experience turns out to be a clue that
helps some other jaggy-sufferers find the cure for your situation.

(Now, if somebody could find a source for eMate display cables, my joy would
be complete ...)

Michael