Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Safety

From: aaron tester (desktop_at_lavalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 13:52:11 EDT

ah yes - well that would explain it then...

you are right about the lack of border here - instead in australia we have
12,200 miles of coastline and a population of 22 million mostly down in the
SE corner of the country --> which makes for a fairly 'permeable' border
after all.

the reason i personally object to guns is that it makes it a hell of a lot
easier for ordinary people to committ criminal acts. at some point in their
lives most people have probably been violently angry or financially
desperate and somehow having guns lying around just seems to be asking for
trouble.

i'm not suggesting that we don't have crooks here - obviously we do and
yes, they have guns. but not really the petty criminals - for example, my
flatmate was held up with a syringue of (supposedly) AIDS blood. 7-11
hold-ups seem to involve big knives more than guns. both situations with
more risk for the crook who has to get much closer to use his weapon, and
perhaps that in itself is a deterrant. accordingly, gun deaths are
considerably lower here per capita than in america.

i grew up in a small rural town (ie more guns) and when i was young there
were two different murders within a few hundred metres of my house - both
domestic situations with guns handy. it's senseless waste and that's what i
object to most of all.

anyway, how's the newt...?

aaron