[NTLK] listar restrictions

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 03:20:22 EDT

Dear listfather,

recently I got two of these messages from listar:

> Your message was automatically REJECTED from the list, for the following
> reason:

> Too many lines quoted (threshold is 70% of total lines in message)

> Sorry, but you have quoted too many lines in your reply. The list
> software automatically rejects any messages where 70% or more of the lines
> are quoted from previous messages. There's never any reason to quote this
> much. If you must refer to some long message or thread, provide a link to
> it in the archive instead of duplicating the same text over and over and
> over...

> So please edit your message and attempt to re-post it. Thank you.

> NewtonTalk.net admins
> victor_at_newtontalk.net

> ---
> Ecartis v1.0.0 - job execution complete.

I have two things to criticise:

first - there is no link to the original message that has been rejected

second - in my opinion the limit is much too stringent:
If I reply with one line to a message containing about 8 lines, my reply
will be already rejected. This cannot be the intention.

I think we all confirm that the number of quoted lines should be limited,
because it is a very lazy behaviour to answer a thread without deleting the
lines not directly related to the answer. This way the thread ends up with a
few hundred lines but you do not really know what the actual part is.

Johannes