Re: [NTLK] loosing me

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 19:17:54 EDT

on 8/19/02 6:48 PM, machula at barpoes_at_xs4all.nl wrote:

> You cannot say I didnt try...
    There are a multitude of things that could be causing your woes. I've
not really followed this thread since I've avoided GSM phones due to their
lack of coverage and the fact that I like my Motorola brick.
    I'm assuming you're using the same equipment as others on the list who
have made this work and have exchanged settings etc. and still no go.
    The only experience I've had with this problem is through work _ it
involves PC laptops rather than Newtons but the principles are the same. We
were supplied with 'wonderful new high-tech gsm phones' to replace our aged
and rather badly abused MicroTac 650s. Workers in the field were to use
these new phones as they had the old ones to send text to head office. Seems
pretty simple. Problem was they couldn't get a good enough connection under
anything but ideal conditions to send more than a few characters _ the new
phones worked great for dictation from the field though. The company
technical team worked on the problem, the phone company worked on the
problem, and the phone manufacturer worked on the problem.
    The solution: the Motorolas are reactivated and back in service and
everyone is happy again _ the phones may be twice as heavy but the
aggravation level had dropped considerably.
    Anyway, if your Newton isn't talking to the phone and other people with
the same equipment aren't having a problem, then it's likely something
"simple" in the settings or a hardware problem (the phone or your Newton).
If it's the connection, you may have the problem we did and it just ain't
gonna work to anybody's satisfaction.

Peter