Re: [NTLK] Basilisk help and Newton connectivity

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:40:24 EST

Well, with the help of a fellow newtoneer (Larry) I
was able to get a solid Mac (emulated) to Newton
connection and backup my Newt to my desktop (the first
time in a long time I've ever had a desktop backup)
I wanted to create an Ethernet connection and the
method isn't obvious. The two tricky parts is the
classic vs. the open transport on the Mac side and
clicking that "Appletalk" box on the network card slip
that pops up when you put the card in. I had done the
necessary network connections that were outlined in
the instructions for Basilisk, but the Mac networking
stuff is what really screwed me up royally!
Thanks for all the help folks.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Mike Kidd <mkidd_at_mrc.gm> wrote:

> > OK, so I wasn't paying attention before...Anyway,
> > just got Basilisk setup with a Quadra650 ROM and
> that
> > wonderful disk image.
> > I think I've set up my Mac side correctly, but I
> don't
> > know...It's been a long-long time since I've done
> > anything Mac related and am hitting a mental
> block.
> >
> > Essentially what I would like to do is make a
> > connection to my Newt (settings in Mac and Newt)
> via
> > NCU and backup my Newt to my new Mac emulated
> machine.
>
> Before starting Basilisk, go to the "Ports" tab in
> BasiliskIIGUI and set the
> modem port to COM1 to redirect the serial data
> there. Then just connect up
> the Newt with the 8-pin DIN -> PC cable to the COM
> port, fire up NCU which
> Victor has provided for you in the MacOS 7.5.5 disk
> image, set the pref
> there and off you go with docking and backing up.
> Should be as easy as
> that...
>
> > Also, is there anyway I can see my Windows drives
> as
> > perhaps network shares under the Mac emulation?
> I'ld
> > like to be able to swap files between the
> machines.
>
> There's a tab in the preferences of BasiliskIIGUI
> called "My Computer" with
> a tick-box to provide access to your Windoze drives.
> Works for me on all
> local drives and our work ethernet.
>
> Mike

=====