Re: [NTLK] Just need a rant...

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 10:00:40 EST

Daves Newton (davesnewton_at_optusnet.com.au) wrote:

> I mean, imagine if the Newton OS was on all sorts of consumer hardware -
> like the video, or TV or the microwave... with the level of integration
> that the Message Pad has, these other devices are screaming for it!

Yes, of course, but that was exactly the kind of application that Apple
didn't have in mind, for whatever reason. Microsoft wants "Windows
everywhere", but the thought of "Newton OS everywhere" (or "Mac OS
everywhere", for that matter) didn't occur to Steve Jobs.

> Anyway, I heard a rumour that it wasn't a lone gunman (SJ) that killed
> the Newt, apparently, Big Billy Gates had his dirty paws all over it
> too!!! Rumour has it that he injected a *whole*
> lotta cash into Apple (which we know as fact) and one of his bargaining
> chips was to kill the Newton, so that Win CE could take over that market
> space (which is conjecture). Does
> anyone else have any extra info on this? Or am I plainly wrong?

I'm pretty much sure you are wrong. I would be surprised if Bill Gates
even spent a thought on the Newton when he bought that 150 million $$
worth of Apple shares. Frankly, the Newton's market share at that time
wasn't worth bothering with.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de