Re: [NTLK] [OT] Food for thought...

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 22:35:15 EST

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 2/9/02 11:58 PM, the entity known
as Sushi transmitted the following from Sushi_at_ragingbull.com:

> Some have suggested censorship. To me, while I vehemently disagree with
> many things Templar and others have said, no one should be censored.
> That is the price of freedom.
>
> Please remember, no one is forcing you to read these messages. It is
> very easy to delete messages without reading them if you so desire. Just
> like changing the radio/TV station.
>
> To censor someone, goes against what I and others (many of which have
> given their lives) around the world have served our countries to
> preserve. And that is freedom. If you are so weak that a few comments,
> well maybe more than a few, from some folks you don't like or disagree
> with their viewpoints cause you to want to eliminate their views -- can
> you say narrow minded -- then I pitty you.

As I stated in another post, I'm of two minds on this issue. Like you,
worry about the issue of censorship. But, well, let me just ask everyone...

Does your locality have a noise ordinance?? In my neighborhood, I've got
the freedom to play music in my backyard or car, but if I crank it up too
loud, I infringe on my neighbors' freedoms and society inflicts a certain
level of punishment for that.

So, perhaps what we need is a cyber-noise ordinance? ;-)

- Eric.