[NTLK] Newton vs. Palm - Just for the record

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 10:37:34 EST

> 3: Synchronization is a laugh! Even Palm does not do a great job after
> so many years. Maybe they try, and maybe it seems like a great job done
> but if you have tried making a HotSync conduit work with the build-in
> apps, you know that there is no cool way of managing the sync process

Well, it might not fit your needs, but it certainly fits mine. When I
got my Palm III (which was about 2 years ago), I installed Palm Desktop
and PocketMirror (to make it talk to MS Outlook which is standard where
I work). Since then, it has just worked. All I see of it is the button
I press after I come to work and before I leave. Even updating from
a Palm III to a Palm IIIx and from a Palm IIIx to a Palm IIIxe didn't
matter, it just kept working.

> 4: If you ask me, all the devices on the market today works after the
> same principal as Microsoft: "Give them what WE think people can JUST do
> with, and please, don't innovate, don't make life TOO EASY!"

Well, of course you are entitled to your own definition of "easy". My very
personal definition of easy is "only having to press a button two times
a day to keep the thing in my pocket always up to date". It certainly
is not "spending days on searching for a solution just to realize in the
end that there is none".

> 4: Is easy to carry around. (The Newton is fine)

Maybe for you. My portable TV set is fine to carry around, too. I can
carry it for a mile without showing the slightest sign of fatigue.
Still, it doesn't fit in my trouser pocket. Neither does any of the
many Newtons I own. My Palm does.

What fits one's needs doesn't automatically fit everyone else's. In the
computer world there isn't a device that even fits all of *my* needs.
This is why I always have (both at work and at home) a PC, a Mac,
a Newton and a Palm. And I wish I had a UNIX workstation next to these
both at work and at home.
I don't care about the brand written on the tools I use. All I care
about is being able to do my work as good as possible and in as
little time as possible.

Frank

Newton software and hardware stuff at www.pda-soft.de