Re: [NTLK] Newton vs. Palm - Just for the record

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 17:05:08 EST

THX 1138 confessed:
> Okay, I read this through twice before I figured out sank is the past=20
> tense form of sync. Really, I was sooo lost.
>=20
> Anyway, I've never seen this form of the word before, is is some=20
> Microsoftian double speak? Wouldn't it be sync'ed? as it's short for=20
> synchronized? Mostly just curious, I don't mean to be the grammar=20
> Nazi.

(I've always wanted to respond to you with "Hello! What's wrong?", but
I'll resist the urge... ;-))

        I've never seen a consistent past tense of sync, before. I've
seen (and used) sync'd, synced and sunc/sunk before. In this case, I
used sank as both a pun (as in, my wife went to sync her Visor, but
instead it sank), and because it sounds a lot like "stank".

        As far as Microsoftian double speak goes, I could tell you all
about that, but then I'd have to kill you. <ouch!>. Sorry. My implant
just gave me a little twinge, there...

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 32:
I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who brings me bad news
just to illustrate how evil I really am. Good messengers are hard to
come by.