Re: [NTLK] Newbie with Internet questions

From: Grant [Alphabetized] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 17:22:09 EST

In a previous message, Chris Searles typed vigorously:

>Something I've always wanted to ask and this seems like an opportune
>time: How does a Newt with a browser such as NetHopper (which is probably
>about 5 years old) deal with all the Java, Javascript and other such
>stuff that normally requires you using at least IE 5 or Netscape 4.7?

If a site is properly designed to consider all types of browsers, the
text and basic image content should be viewable using NetHopper or Newt's
Cape. As Steve mentioned, Newt's Cape will ignore content types that it
can't understand, parse, or otherwise hand off to a plug-in. If a site
depends on the use of a 5.x or higher browser, non-standard graphical
extensions to that browser, or proprietary plug-ins in order for the user
to view even the most basic content or information, then that site is not
worth visiting in my opinion. Find another site. I've heard that there's
a few out there on the web...

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/