Re: [NTLK] Suggestions for modem and memory card for eMate

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 15:20:50 EST

>Hello,
>
>Thanks for all your advice as to getting ethernet going on my eMate (email
>only). Got a Farallon card off eBay and now I am looking for modem and PC
>card memory (NIE 2.0 really takes alot of space).
>
>Any recommendations? Would a 56K modem (if drivers available) work? What
>kind of PC card memory works in a Newton? Can any card be mounted inside
>MacOS i.e. 9.2?

The Hayes Optima 33.6 X-Jack modem is what was used to test NIE (per Len
Lutz modem page- <http://www.dca.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/lenlutz/newton.cgi>).
Those, and Megahertz 33.6 XJack are $18 from www.computer-show.com (no, I
don't work for them, I just like cheap used hardware).
You can find 14.4 Megahertz for $10-14 on ebay.

The emate has a slow enough processor, I'm not sure you'll see much of a
difference between 14.4 and 33.6, really, let alone 56k (check the list to
be sure re: compatibility and power drain of 56k modems). At least on my
MP130 I used both 14.4 and 28.8 Megahertz modems, and didn't think my email
came through that much faster, certainly nothing to get excited about...

Power drain is a real killer, if you are on batteries. A bit slower speed
would be a good tradeoff for a lower power card.