[NTLK] Q for programmers

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 09:34:19 EDT

A while ago I bought the NSBasic book on Amazon, with its little demo of
NSBasic. The demo version is a bit limited but I'm just fiddling, so I
don't care that (for example) I can only create one app, named "demo" :) I
know what it is.

I have a small NSBasic app and am trying to figure out how to give it an
icon on the backdrop (not just drag it to the soft button bar, but a button
on the backdrop app). I don't see a way to do that from within NSBasic,
and emailing the NSBasic author resulted in " I don't think you can do that
without "C", if you can even do it at all".

Do I need a C wrapper or NS wrapper or something or is it not possible?
Maybe I should have started trying to write a Newtonscript to let me put
any app into a programmable backdrop button :) (the latter util exists for
NOS 1.x, but not for NOS 2.x). I looked into NewtDevEnv and at the
"programming Newton" pdf but just have not had time to do much (anything)
with learning NS.

If I ever get the full version of NSBasic it would be nice, as standalone
executables would work (no need for the extra library).

Thanks for thoughts;

Brian