[NTLK] MAD Newton Fun

From: Christopher Frazier (cfrazier_at_webplantation.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 12:01:02 EDT

I'm not sure how other people are using MAD Newton / MAD Max, but I
figured I'd drop a line to show off some fun I've been having with it...

While it's true that playing MP3s off of the Newton is a real pain
(transferring the MP3s becomes more of a hassle than it's really worth),
using the streaming portion of the MAD Newton system along with
Hiroshi's wireless connectivity makes the Newton a really cool wireless
Internet Radio player!

I started out hunting down radio stations that were at a decent bitrate
for the MAD Newton architecture (56Kb or so) and have a pretty decent
list of stations. Problem was, I got tired of listening to the same old
thing (most of the stations were techno or top 40 pop). Enter Shoutcast
and Winamp. I now use my system at home to serve out my own stream of
MP3s to the Newton, and I can pick up the stream at any of the locations
that I can get a wireless link (school, various coffee houses, etc.). I
also use the system at home to translate higher bitrate connections into
something my system can use.

Now I need to get a web based playlist editor so I can use NetHopper to
control my playback. Anyone else doing anything like this? I'd love to
hear about your experiences and try out new tricks!

Chris