Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 16:24:02 EDT

On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 01:54 PM, Thomas Cherry wrote:

> So in your opinion, people who work for a corporation only care about
> making
> money? Now, I know in most corporation, the chairman of the board has
> one
> goal, make money for the shareholders, but this does not always mean
> that
> this is the same goal for the CEO. To keep his/her job and company
> afloat
> the CEO must make sure that money keeps coming in to keep the chairman
> (and
> CFO) happy, but he/she may have other goals, like build a cool product.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about. Jobs has been quoted as
saying that with the Macintosh, he understood he had to make a product
that could be profitable... but that was only the means to an end (and a
way to keep Mike Markula happy). The end was change people's lives by
providing a cheap (believe it or not, this was a goal), easy to use
computer for the "rest of us."

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj