Re: [NTLK] [ot][soccer][or football][whatever]

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 16:18:10 EDT

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 01:07 PM, Lou Forlini wrote:
> At 12:03 PM -0500 6/12/02, Stephen Jendraszak wrote:
>> Yes! Exactly! It is like hockey. There is no tension. No
>> bottom-of-the-9th, full-count, bases-loaded situations. There are the
>> players, just running around one second, and the next, the ball is the
>> goal. Who'd a thunk?
>
> Stephen,
>
> I guess it's all in how you define tension and how you like your
> sports. ...
> Soccer is continuous action, substitutions are limited, and the
> players have to be in incredible shape.

Just to be clear- I'm not saying that I don't like soccer (I can be
honest- I've never really given it chance.) I was just speculating about
why international sports like soccer and hockey don't do real well in
the US. I think Americans savor the SITUATION, and the STRATEGY of
sport. The aforementioned bottom of the 9th, the 4th and goal with 15
yds. left and 30 seconds on the clock, etc. In hockey and soccer, it is
precisely BECAUSE they are so fast paced that you don't have time to
revel in the brilliant strategy, or to sweat it out, hoping your team
can win the game in the last play. People can score in soccer or hockey,
and you don't even see it coming! It happens in a split second.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj