Re: [NTLK] [ot][soccer][or football][whatever]

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 18:09:58 EDT

Nope.
Americans like the commercials. You need to stop the
action every once in a while to let your audience get
more beer or visit the bathroom! Like was indicated
earlier, an hour football game, or baseball game could
last several hours! Hockey and Soccer are time
limited. After 1 hour, that's that! There's no real
time for commercials and like I've seen on American
TV, when they attempt to place a commercial in a
supposed "lull", you end up missing a goal or
something@! Besides, American TV is paid for by Ad
revenue...without it, there's no programming. And if
you can't get commercials on a soccer game, why
sponsor it?
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Stephen Jendraszak <stevehj_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 01:07 PM, Lou
> Forlini wrote:
> > At 12:03 PM -0500 6/12/02, Stephen Jendraszak
> wrote:
> >> Yes! Exactly! It is like hockey. There is no
> tension. No
> >> bottom-of-the-9th, full-count, bases-loaded
> situations. There are the
> >> players, just running around one second, and the
> next, the ball is the
> >> goal. Who'd a thunk?
> >
> > Stephen,
> >
> > I guess it's all in how you define tension and
> how you like your
> > sports. ...
> > Soccer is continuous action, substitutions are
> limited, and the
> > players have to be in incredible shape.
>
> Just to be clear- I'm not saying that I don't like
> soccer (I can be
> honest- I've never really given it chance.) I was
> just speculating about
> why international sports like soccer and hockey
> don't do real well in
> the US. I think Americans savor the SITUATION, and
> the STRATEGY of
> sport. The aforementioned bottom of the 9th, the 4th
> and goal with 15
> yds. left and 30 seconds on the clock, etc. In
> hockey and soccer, it is
> precisely BECAUSE they are so fast paced that you
> don't have time to
> revel in the brilliant strategy, or to sweat it out,
> hoping your team
> can win the game in the last play. People can score
> in soccer or hockey,
> and you don't even see it coming! It happens in a
> split second.
>
> sj

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting