Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: Convincing argument against MS

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 13:39:40 EDT

on 6/13/02 5:41 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I hope that I've not misunderstood you (although I may have a bit). My
> question above was an honest one because I'm curious about folks'
> perceptions. Happiness is, after all, a matter of how one chooses to manage
> their expectations. I may someday fall into the same motivations and
> expectations and I (for one) would like to learn from others' experiences in
> this.

I say, "Wait not!" Why? Well, because there is always _somebody_ who isn't
going to _want_ to wait! I sure hope that most people who try out 1.0 of
anything (be it a Newton or XP or X) _know_ that they are on the bleeding
edge. They don't call it that for nothing! When you are on the thin edge of
new technology, you _will_ get cut. You can't juggle knives without getting
cut once in a while. :-) These early-adopters are vital for doing the _real_
beta-testing of the product. They also teach the manufacture where he goofed
up as well as where the home runs are, and all this helps. Oh, and they also
provide _vital_ capital for the company to continue to develop and improve
the product. I could imagine the hue and cry that would have ensued had
Apple waited yet _another_ year (from '95 is it??) before they released it,
and why? Simply to make it "mature"? (i.e. Full compatibility and complement
of drivers, etc?) Sorry, it's not worth waiting. Besides, we have Microsoft
as an example that Three's a charm. :-) I'm sure that the vast majority of
early adopters are happy that they chose to enter early.

Definitely, don't wait. That's my perspective. Besides, if you waited, how
long would you wait? Until perfection? How do you know when you achieved it?
Best to put it out and let the masses give it the approval or disapproval.
:-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland