Re: [NTLK] Newton 4 Newbies/dead 2100

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 13:56:38 EDT

OK. Here are a few things to check.
Sometimes when opening up a Newt, the battery spring
catches and will no longer make a good connection with
the battery pack. I also noticed some crystalization
of the solder joints around the battery connection.
Touch up some of those solder joints (you are using a
grounded!!! 25W soldering iron, right?) I had to give
the battery contact spring a little tweak to get it to
make a reliable connection!
Also, check all the plugin connectors, espceially the
one with the red and black wires and that grey
sheilded one. Did you try turning on the Newt with the
AC adapter plugged in?
Drain the supercap (you can force this by shorting it
using a pair of tweazers or forceps) and attempt to
restart the Newt without the batterys installed and
only the AC adapter.
Give these things a try and see what
happens...hopefully something works
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- James Mackey <mackeyj24_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I pulled the SER-001 and put it in my other
> Newt. I de-soldered the
> Implant and put the original crystal back and let it
> sit overnight. It still
> doesn't turn on or make any noises. :(

<snip>

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting