Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card troubles

From: eric a . Farris (eafarris_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 15:29:31 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 03:04:47PM -0500, Peter Cameron wrote:

> "eric a . Farris" <eafarris_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > Bad News (at least for me). The card is good, the hub
> > is good, the cables are good
>
> Well, that's a few possible problems eliminated.
> You've selected ethertalk in preferences, I presume.

yep.

> Also, have you tried putting the ethernet card in the other PCMCIA slot? ... you never know!

i tried that this morning, feeling very sheepish about not trying that
before, and reporting back to you guys that that was the whole
problem... :) it doesn't help.

let's start from the beginning... does anyone have this working with
this exact card? chuma's site mentions the 3CXE589EC. this is NOT that
card. it is the 3CCE589ET. it looks just like the card on the chuma
website (http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/epics/3cxe589EC.jpg)
except this one has a pigtail instead of the xjack. That would be the
"X" in the xjack model's number, but the "C" for it vs. the "T" on mine
has me a little worried. perhaps i'm working an unsolvable problem:
perhaps this card is not supported.

With the Farallon driver + patches the Newton recognizes the card as a
"Megahertz 589E".