Re: [NTLK] Power Consumtion of WaveLAN card

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 14:26:12 EST

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jim Witte wrote:

> Can anyone here (PCBMan?) shed light on whether there is a theoretical
> minimum power requirement for wireless cards? After all, they are
> generating a radio signal of some strengh, but I don't know enough about
> radio technology to know if that puts an appreciable floor on power
> consumption.

Well, the power in has to be greater than or equal to power out. So if the
device puts out 25mW of RF power, it must take in at least 25mW of
electrical power. But the logic and circuitry to TX & RX data via RF
consumes a decent amount of power, so current spikes of 250mA aren't
abnormal.

If the card is being run of 3.3V, that's a peak power draw of 825mW.

Speedy2.