Re: [NTLK] Newton screen issues

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 01:29:47 EST

on 19/03/02 20:36, Benjamin Higginbotham at draco_at_silverdragonden.com wrote:

> Ok, I know we covered this before, but I don't remember a resolution nor=20=
>
> did I find one in the archives...
>
> I have a Newton 2100 (upgraded) with a slight issue on the screen. When=20=
>
> I tap on the corners, it shows up perfectly, but the closer I get to the=20=
>
> middle of the screen, the further off center the carrot is. When I tap=20=
>
> and hold in the middle of the screen, the dot shows up about 1/4" off of=20=
>
> where it should be. When I tap and hold around the corners, it's dead=20=
>
> on. THis created problem when trying to write, or select a spot on the=20=
>
> screen.
>
> I tried running setup again, but I get the same results every time. Can=20=
>
> I assume this is an issue with my touch screen? If so, how can I fix=20
> it, assuming it's possible.
>
> My other option is to buy a new (well, new for me) Newton from MacEasy=20=
>
> and hope it's is better shape.

Unfortunately, that's probably your best option. The other option would be
to have it serviced by Apple, but that will get you in the $180 plus
shipping, assuming Apple wants to repair it.

And yes, from what you're describing, it looks like a hardware problem.
Naturally, if you're going to try to get a new one, you could open the one
you have and see if you can strip it down to the touch screen and see if
cleaning the touch screen contacts help. There were some discussions about
this a few weeks ago here, on NewtonTalk. You could check the archive.
Definitely not for the faint of heart, though...

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs (owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm, difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system effect and baroque.