Re: [NTLK] when I was a kid...

From: Thomas Hofts (thofts_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 09:10:23 EST

>>BTW, I was very happy to get a 4 function calculator with % and memory
>>when I was in the 8th grade. The 9 volt battery lasted about 20 minutes.
>> But it sure beat using a slide rule.
>
> I remember a Popular Mechanics article I read when I was in the eleventh
> grade which was titled "Now -- a four-function calculator for under
> $100".

Brings back memories...when I was a college freshman I worked PT at Sears.
We got a shipment of the new Texas Instruments calculators that had six
functions including Pi and Squaring. I got a 10% employee discount so I
bought all of our initial shipment ( 8 ) at $105 ea. using my second
semester fees and sold them in front of the student union for $150 ea. Gave
me lots of beer money!

My youngest daughter recently found one of my old slide rules and I had a
hard time getting her to understand that when I was in school we just didn't
have calculators or computers. But having grown up in a rural area I can
also remember using an outhouse and crank phones. Things sure have changed
in my 47 years!

Back to the subject of Newtons.. two of my kids (14 & 15) think my 2100 is
cool (spelt kewl in their lingo). The boy (our resident computer expert and
music pirate) says it's more functional that mom's new Handspring Visor. #1
daughter who graduates college in May wants one for her stint in medical
school and son-in-law who manages the PC network at his college played with
the Newton all weekend, nodded a lot, and went to eBay to check the latest
offerings!

Maybe one of these days Apple and Jobs will see the light and .....and so it
goes!

--
Thomas Hofts
Lawrence, KS  USA