Re: [NTLK] Jobs, Skully, Apple II, and Newton...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 17:25:37 EST

Well, I have this deep seated need to Hate $J so much
that regardless of what the truth is, I will believe
that $J killed the Newt out of shear spite and
jealousy!
From past experiences, $J has demonstrated his need
for "back at-ya" kinda justice...(I'ld hate to p*ss
him off in traffic).
Why have this irrational belief? Well, unless you talk
to $J directly and ask him, all you're going to get is
speculation so if you need to believe something, make
it something you want!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> So -- can anyone fill me in on more details on what
> went on between Jobs,
> Skully, the Apple II line, and the Newton. I mean,
> my impression has been
> that Skully killed Jobs' pet project and, in return,
> Jobs eventually killed
> Skully's Newton. Is that just old rumor -- or any
> truth to it?
>
> Was the Newton line hurting financially by that
> time? I mean, did Jobs think
> he was making good financial decisions, do you
> think? Or was Jobs ego just
> getting back at Skully in a spiteful way?
>
> Did the Newton "fail" because of high Palm sales in
> 1996 (I believe they sold
> like 350,000 of them the first year)? Or was the
> line canceled when still
> going strong financially?
>
> Also -- was the decision to kill the Newton pretty
> much Jobs' alone? Or did
> he have to talk a Board of Directors into it? I
> mean, I see people blame Jobs
> for the death of the Newton -- I just want to know
> if that is fair -- or if
> there is more to the story...
>
> Anyone more involved and/or knowledgeable want to
> fill me in on the gory
> details?
>
> - John...

=====