Re: [NTLK] The "Right" Newton

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 03:24:28 EST

> If I'm not checking email, surfing the web, etc. do I need the power of
> the 2100? Are MP 130 accessories/parts far scarcer than those for
> 2100s? Opinions appreciated.
If you're about to write a lot on it you'll be happy about the fastest you
can get. In terms of the time delay between end of writing of a word and the
appearance of the recognized letters you'll be happy about any MHz. I would
go further and recommend you to get not only a MP2000 but a MP2k1 or an
UMP2k1 or even better a unit with overclocking. You might also wait until
David Humphreys (aka PCBman) takes orders for his new DongleKiller SER-002
with built-in overclocking crystal. If this becomes available and is working
well you could try to get a very cheap 'defective' MP2k1 with broken NIC
port and with the installation of the SER-002 you'll have all you can dream
of in terms of Newton hardware. I'll do so because I got a spare MP2k1 with
broken NIC laying around at home. The justification of the higher expenses
to get a MP2k1 is easily made with amount of time you'll save on using the
faster Newton beside the fact that you don't have the disappointing wait
factor as with a MP130. However, you might consider to get a MP130 too, just
as backup for the rainy day. The main applications (notes, dates, todos,
names) can share the data w/o problems. But be shure to get a unit with
NOS2.0

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand