Re: [NTLK] Pretec 32 mb card & 2100 screen

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 10:47:42 EST

Tom....

In the category of 'for what it is worth....':

My brother is a devoted audio enthusiast, who avidly reads an 'exclusive'
stereophile magazine published in the UK. In that most respected journal he
read that the sound quality of audio played back from CD's that had been
"cleaned" with Armor-all is dramatically improved as compared to untreated
CD's. On a visit to his home, he delighted in playing two copies of the
same CD, one treated with Armor-all, the other one pristine, out-of-the-box
condition. I didn't have the heart to tell him I could hear no difference
between the two. His devoted wife affirmed his belief.

Some while later, I learned indirectly through his daughter that all of his
CD collection had been replaced with newly purchased copies. Seems the
polycarbonate plastic substrate that is common in CD manufacture had become
chemically unstable and cracked profusely. All of his CD's were a total
loss.

Plastics and chemistry is an arcane, dark art. I have an overly pessimistic
attitude about the wisdom of combining such stuff unless there is abundant
evidence spanning significant intervals of time that there are not any
risks.

Do come back in 6 months, or so, and tell us how things are working out.

:-)

Best wishes....

Richard.

P. S.

Armor-all is a popular product for cleaning interiors of automobiles. It is
known for its 'leave-behind' film coating that restores the appearance of
treated surfaces.

R. D.