[NTLK] Opening packages on PCs/Macs (was eMac...)

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 16:32:36 EDT

Ed Kummel wrote not long ago (5/2/02 4:11 PM):

> Actually...on the PC side, if you know that it's a picture, then all you gotta
> do is right-click on the file while holding down the shift key and select
> "open with". then you get a listing of all the registered applications on the
> machine. You choose the application you want to open that file with and it
> will open. From then on, that application will be available to you whenever
> you open a file with that same extension!

From what I've read, an identical feature will also be included in OS X 10.2
when it's released later this summer.

You could also use the free Zingg! utility to add that functionality now:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12965&db=mac

Currently, in OS X you can also set files with particular extensions to open
with particular apps. Select the file, Get info (Apple-I), and then click
the pop-up in that window to "Open with Application". You can then choose
the app from a second pop-up.

But... you probably don't want to associate ".pkg" files with NCU in OS X,
because OS X uses the ".pkg" extension for installer packages. Instead, use
a program like Packager to create the appropriate resource fork information
so that OS X will use that info rather than the file extension to open it
up.

--Jesse