Re: [NTLK] Ethernet card and battery life

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 00:18:51 EDT

Yes. Some more than others. I remember a few weeks
ago, someone on this list gave a link to a list of
modem cards and their current draw. I wonder if there
is a similar list for ethernet cards? I know that the
D-Link card has a power stand-by mode that reduces the
power drain while not in use. Avi's shows that with
the d-link installed (in stand-by mode) and the
backlight (and accelerated) shows just about 100ma
used. This number doesn't change when I remove the
ethernet card. BUT!!! When the d-link card is in use,
power usage jumps to over 360ma! (I can drop that
about 20ma if I run in normal speed mode and another
30ma if I turn the backlight off!)
There are some other ethernet cards that do not have
the power standby feature. These would be a constant
drain whether you are using the card or not.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Chris Searles <csearles_at_netcologne.de> wrote:

> Does leaving the Ethernet card in the Newt put an
> additional drain effect
> on the batteries?
>
> Chris Searles

=====