Re: [NTLK] Thinking of Switching

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 03:17:24 EDT

on 15-05-2002 5:54, Ermin Mistica at angel316_at_earthlink.net wrote:
> An incident last week left me without access to any of my Names, Notes, D=
ates,
> Geeksafe and so on due to a glitch with the Newton not reading the card.
> Naturally I panicked. I had no backup that was up to date enough and rest=
oring
> what I did have to a backup Newton was not working.

Two things here, first the obvious, backup often.
But second, why didn't your restore work properly, I lost countless Newtons
over the years (I both stupid and prone to attract the wrong kind of people=
,
read: thieves) and every time I just did a restore on my new Newt and kept
working, no problem.
You're not one of those sinners that still think that they can get away wit=
incremental backups are you ?! Always make a fresh backup, so always start
from scratch.

>NCU is not the greatest and trying to export in the past has produced less=
 than
> stellar results when viewing the final resultson Outlook or some other De=
sktop
> based PIM.

Could you elaborate, I'm quite pleased with what Claris gives me on the
desktop of my Names file, very useable.

> Knowing that Palm and Pocket PC users are able to do without their handhe=
ld
> made me stop and think a moment.

Now I guess that was a typo, but I really wouldn't know what anybody is abl=
to do WITHOUT their handheld.
If you meant WITH their handheld, the answer is pretty short, awe a lot of
people and not get a lot of satisfaction out of the PDA side of it, at leas=
not by far compared with a Newt AFAIK (it's been a while that I really
looked at a Pocket PC)

> It was the Newtons lack of connection capabilities, of transferring my Na=
mes
> especially in their entirety that made me wince.

Now I know that some people with PC's have difficulty with this, but on a
Mac ?

> I switched out the 32 MB card which seemed to be causing some of the quir=
ks
> and used a smaller 20MB card instead.

Did you ever filled your 32 MB to the brim, in general a good way to check
if it's still ok, you'll need a couple of huge packages to do this (WordNew=
and Lexionary will help a bit ;-)
Did you ever do a brain wipe with the 32 MB card in your Newt, maybe you
damaged it that way.

> I can replace the packages if they get deleted (as someone here had menti=
oned)
> but the backup to the cards will at least allow me to save my life should
> another glitch occur.

Once again, see if you can get backups to your Mac working, should work and
if it doesn't start looking for corruption on your Newt.

>Any inform can be saved to PC easily enough after beaming them to a Palm a=
nd
> hotsyncing. (I haven=92t yet got my Newt to sync to Palm Desktop just yet).

Try Claris Organizer (it's on Unna) or check the Palm Desktop tips at This
Old Newt=20
or read the Claris Organizer/Palm Desktop info on:
http://homepage.mac.com/dettmer/newton/150.html

There's a Newton Names Soup =3D> VCF =3D> iPod 1.1 script there as well for iPo=
owners !

> In short, have you guys lost me? No. I'm staying.

Cool

Robert Benschop