Re: [NTLK] OT Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: William B Davis Jr (billd_at_ecity.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 02:00:53 EST

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 05:57 PM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> In tripping over themselves to fawn over OS X, some people here are doing
> Larrie a diservice by giving him the impression that he will suffer
> nothing
> but joy unconfined by making the change to OS X.
>
> It is however incontrovertible that on his machine (as mine) he will
> experience a substantial reduction in perceived and actual performance
> over
> 8/9 - whether he deems this a fair trade for the other attributes of OS X
> is
> for him to decide.
>
> Joel.

Sorry...but I didn't experience a substantial reduction (none, in most
cases), and I'm using a 5 year old machine and expected FAR, FAR more
problems or slowdowns. I've had virtually none. A few of my older
peripherals didn't work, but over the last few 10.1.x revs from Apple most
have come back to life (and a couple of third-party ported Linux drivers
added a couple more....blessed be OS X's Unix underpinnings!)

But as you point out, it is for him (and me, and you) to decide. Just
because YOU had a problem doesn't mean others will, as you say is
"incontrovertible". It's NOT. I've also heard that many folks under OS
X who had a speed problem solved it by either (a) a clean install, (b)
cleaning up unneeded extensions if they are using Classic (I'm not) or (c)
  upgrading to 10.2.

The NICE thing is you can have BOTH on your system and switch back and
forth, or you and can run old non-carbonized apps (if you really need to)
under Classic while in OS X. So you can try it out, or phase over slowly
if you want, without having to go whole-hog. Like the switch to
PowerPC chips, Apple has tried to make things as painless as possible.
Perfect? Of course not. The interface changes take a bit of getting used
to, but many were ones I have wanted for years (ok, not the "lickable"
part, but other more functional things) But I've been pleasantly
surprised. I expected MANY problems and was pleasantly surprised to very
few.

  - Bill

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html