Re: [NTLK] Generic AC adapter

From: John Acuff (jacuff1_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 21:06:33 EST

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 06:57 PM, im-wired_at_attbi.com wrote:

> Greetings from Oregon!
>
> New to the list. Don't own a Newt yet but been a huge Apple fan since
> my first
> ][+ in 1978. The LAN in my house has 4 Macs! (no pee cees !!)
>
> Been considering a different PDA (time to liquidate my Sony Magic Link
> PIC-2000
> w. a ton of software and accessories) and put the proceeds toward a
> Newton 2100.
>
> I'm seeing em' go on e-bay but many are missing AC adapters of all
> things!
>
> One dude's ad caught my eye that was selling an AC adapter only* that
> warned, "Don't get an adapter from Radio Shack or you'll fry your
> Newt!".
>
> Uhhh... is there something extrordinarily complex about giving the
> newton DC
> power? I figure if I get polarity right and the other specs (7.5vdc,
> 1.2a
> output) I should be good to go. There's an electronics surplus place in
> Portland that carrys tons of different types of power supplies and AC
> to DC
> adapters.
>
> Can someone tell me about the connector type on the Newton 2100 power
> supply?
> Is is just the standard 'barrel' type at the end of the cord?
>

> * Yipes! Bidding was up to $25.
>

> Thanks in advance, everyone!
> db

I use an old Radio Shack adapter that i had laying in my pile of
"wall-warts". 7.5 VDC @ 700ma, tip +, sleeve-. I did have to change the
plug to one that matches the Newt (2100).
Been using it for a couple weeks now with no problems.
I saw that eBay ad too. Looks like scare tactics to me. As long as the
voltage and polarity are correct, and the amperage is not too high, I
see no problems. Unless there is some special circuitry in the original
adapter that I don't know of.....
John

"Got Newt!"

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html