Re: [NTLK] [OT] Proof Jobs is an idiot

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 20:33:35 EST

Sam,

> dude, have you used it?

All of them, from Public Beta onwards. You need to see more systems.

I say it again, usability is more engineering than taste or opinion, though
a little magic never hurts! Any critique I have made comes from an analysis
of how the interface works based on known human behaviour, existing models
that do a good job for well established reasons and observations of people
using the machines.

When you see a user working harder than is necessary, doing things which are
unnecessary and avoidable, taking longer to complete a task than they might
or struggling to negotiate the interface because of obvious incongruities,
the engineering is at fault - the product is defective.

Perhaps it's hard to see the problems unless you choose the right
perspective and have already absorbed certain ideas but when you do you
can't avoid seeing them. We all use things every day quite happily until the
absurdities are pointed out to us, then suddenly they look silly.

I've never been called a 'dude' before, is this 'cool'? :-)

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html