[NTLK] Frozen Newton project

From: Ferdi Ozguner (fozguner_at_ualberta.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 19:59:18 EST

I understand your question.
I have already talked with the plastic mold manufacturer about this.
The mold will get produced in such a way that it is a direct copy of the
Newton case. All screws threads will still be present, all clips will still
work to hold the Newton together. The only after-work would be coating the
inside of the casing with a magnetically shielded paint. The original
Newton case has such a coating on the inside to prevent electrical
interference with sensitive electronics. This would especially be important
to the medical community. I'm not advocating not doing this but, if you do
it pretty much negates the cool transparency of the case =).

For those that commented that I should contact the masa Newton website owner
to prevent reinvention of the wheel: Unfortunately my attempts to contact
Mr. Masa have been unsuccessful. I went so far as to get what I want
translated into Japanese on the off chance he didn't speak English, to no
avail. My emails to him were not undeliverable but were not responded to
none the less.

I would like to thank those that have expressed their interest already. We
are up to 20 participants. I'm hoping that this is not all the assistance I
will receive from the newtontalk list. The greatest costs in this project
are up front.

I would like to let people on the list know that although 175$ seems like a
large amount the participants of the original frozen Newton project each put
down 30000 HK$ to participate. This translates to about 230 US$ and there
was a disclaimer on their site that it was strictly pay first and get your
case later.

If anyone has any other questions please ask away!

Ferdi

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html