Re: [NTLK] Voice of reason

From: good-dog_at_northshore.net
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 06:29:13 EST

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 03:03 PM, Hans Derycke wrote:

> --- "Doug Parker" <dougparker_at_progressdata.com> wrote:
>> These image things have to be constructed,
>> guided, manufactured. We're discussing establishing a relationship.

I've managed to lose the original post from Doug Parker (an excellent
post in case you missed it), but after my initial excitement about the
Little Fun Project, I've changed my mind and think it'd work better if
what Doug says is integrated into the formation of the Plan. Why take
an action that may have an unwanted reaction just to vent some
frustration and, in essence, give the finger to Steve Jobs?

Doug's correct when he says we stand to lose from such an action not
gain. An action with spite and venom can only hurt the Newton
community's chances of creating a relationship. What's that old saying,
"you catch more flies with honey than vinegar."?

Think of it, when some righteous person tries to force something on
you, your immediate response is to step back, even if you want to step
up and kill them or argue. The initial response is a severing of
relationship. Suppose these packages arrive, and supposing Steve Jobs
gets it during his speech (probably would never happen), and supposing
it makes a big stink? The risk is that it'll backfire.

Why anger the only person who can be of any help? Why not take a
humorous action that make a point without destroying relationship?
Otherwise any goodwill that's built up over this time, any softening on
Jobs part (we're not privvy what really goes on. As Jon Glass
mentioned, it may all be a subtle plot to bring out something truly
kick-ass when nobody is expecting anything at all) might be affected.

For the momentary pleasure of giving Steve Jobs a Newton styled Pie In
The Face, we roll the dice in favor of losing anything time might have
healed in him toward what we want just to vent some pent up
frustration. It's as about as heartwarming as a Suicide Bomber. I
vote in favor of constructing a plan with more humor and goodwill and
something less Suicidal.

Creating harmony, not discord and animosity, will increase the chances
of something good coming out of this action.

As for the reference to the "hats", did anyone get it?

my .03 cents worth...

Mark

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html