Re: [NTLK] OT: PalmOS-based AlphaSmart Dana

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 11:31:20 EST

On Thursday 28 November 2002 04:56, David Orriss Jr wrote:
> I thought *this* was really cool. It is to the PalmOS devices roughly
> what the eMate is to the Newton. And it's got a sweet pricetag, too.
>
> http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/Pen47/dana.html
>
> Here's the official site on it:
>
> http://www.alphasmart.com/products/dana_overview.html
>
> Now I'm not saying that this is *better* than anything NewtonOS-based...
> But if you use the PalmOS and/or your a student and you need something
> with a long battery life to take to class that'll easily sync with a
> desktop I'd say you have something here....

Ohoh! Tandy flashback coming up...

Why is it that every five years someone comes up with this formfactor and
think they have discovered The Ultimate Answer To Portable Computing <TM>?

I even seem to remember a ZX Spectrum derivative aimed at the Buzy
Professional On The Move <TM>.

I think a student can get better value by buing a three year old laptop
with a couple of spare batteries. If space is at a premium, why not go for
one of the older Toshiba Librettos? They seem to go for comparable prices
on eBay.

--
Jazz.

"Respect my authoritaah!" (Eric Cartman)