Re: [NTLK] NewtStumbler?

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 09:53:59 EDT

* Harlan Feinstein <harlan_at_feinsteins.net> on Fri, 11 Oct 2002
| There's a setting for it in the driver. I don't know anyone who uses
| ad-hoc mode, so no way for me to test it. I'm not even sure how an
| ad-hoc mode network would reach the internet.

Yes, the wavelan driver has an ad-hoc mode.

And the answer is, it generally cannot. Ad-hoc networks are like
connecting two machines together with Cat5 crossover cables. The two
machines can talk only to each other. Getting an ad-hoc network to talk
outside of itself requires one of the two nodes be a router for the other
and have a second network interface that somehow connects outside.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.