Re: [NTLK] Newtscape Offline Forms?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 04:57:56 EDT

> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:49:17 -0400
> Subject: [NTLK] Newtscape Offline Forms?
> From: James Spahr <jsp_at_designframe.com>
>
> I am looking at:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/advform.htm
>
> I'd like to be able to have a Newtscape book that has html forms
> (easy). After the forms have been filled out I'd like the HTTP POST
> requests (ie what a browser generates when you click on a 'submit
> button') to be put into my Newton's outbox, pending an internet
> connection. Is this possible?
>
> --
>
> Details:
>
> I teach a couple college courses and have a custom PHP/MySQL site that
> I use to manage attendance/grades/notes/etc. I'd like to be able to use
> the Newton to enter data (grading/attendance) while it is not connected
> to the internet.
>
> Looks like I can use mailto: urls, but HTTP POST would be so much
> easier for me, plus the HTTP GET encoding used may be problematic -- so
> if I'm missing something in the docs, please let me know!

you're not missing anything in the docs.

I did implement something very much like this a few years ago to address
needs of a particular customer (who would've licensed lots of copies). for
demo purposes, I had offline Submits going to another soup (not Inbox), then
they could later be reopened or batch submitted.

so, "is this possible?" -- yes.
will it get done? -- probably not (unless it would be of compelling interest
to lots more users, and I took a closer look to see how solid the demo code
really was, and I had the time in between trips and other projects...)

btw, I would've missed this posting if I hadn't scanned thru the entire
digest. does anyone know why the Digest TOC ("In this issue:") doesn't
include all of the Subject headers?

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com