Re: [NTLK] Wireless Modem for my Newton?

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 08:08:57 PDT

> From: "J. Eagan Rackley" <jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Wireless Modem for my Newton?
>

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I looked online for this, but couldn't directly locate a resource, and I
> always like to hear it from people anyway :).
>
> A friend of mine once had a wireless modem that had a receiver that
> plugged into his phone line, and then a PCMCIA card that plugged into
> his laptop. He could then sit on the couch, a large distance from his
> desk/phone cord, and surf the web / check e-mail etc.

I never saw the PCMCIA one (don't know if it really existed) but
IBM/Panasonic sold a similar unit with a playing-card deck sized receiver. I
used to use it with my laptop/Newton prior to Airport. Note it was not a
modem, just a specially-designed cordless phone.

The price new was scandalous, and they rarely appear on eBay. There is some
internal circuitry where - as the signal strength drops while moving about -
an LED goes from green->yellow->red. 5-10 seconds of red won't disconnect
you. Worked well, the basestation charged it up.