Re: [NTLK] Ramblings and Wishes

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 13:53:40 PDT

At 03:04 AM 9/11/2002 -0400, "Dave Bonhoff" <gtidave_at_golden.net>wrote:

>- On occasion Simple Mail will have trouble retrieving mail from my ISP.
>It will connect, deleate 'deleated' messages and then hang while checking
>for new mail. I will not be able to dowload new messages to my Newt until
>I clear out my mailbox by downloading all my messages to my Powerbook. I'm
>guessing that this is an issue with my ISP. Thoughts?

My thoughts:

There is apparently an MTU/MRU bug in NIE's PPP stack. If too large a PPP
packet is sent from the host, NIE will hang indefinitely. This only happens
on PPP (e.g., modem) links. I get it after SimpleMail issues a UIDL command
to the POP3 server (or I manually issue the command from a telnet session)
and I have too many messages -- it receives part of the output but hangs
when it gets too long. I also get this when telnetting into a UNIX host and
doing an Octal Dump (OD) of a long file... the first X bytes come down
fine, then it hangs. Try the same exact activities with a TCP/IP link and
it works fine.

Are you using a modem? If so, can you try using Ethernet instead and see
what happens?

Also, this bug does not seem to manifest itself when using IMAP instead of
POP3 -- I presume it's due to a difference in the length of IMAP
commands/responses for new mail query compared to UIDL for POP3.

www.mail2pda.com works pretty well for a Web interface to view your POP3 or
IMAP e-mail and avoids the issue entirely.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond Shepherd
jbond_at_jameswhale.com