Re: [NTLK] DARPA Newts

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 20:43:19 PDT

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 04:34:42PM -0400, Mark Bock wrote:
> Once it's on, lo and behold, there's a very nice little app on there
> that interfaces with a GPS, a radio, and a laser designator and

Sir, this could possibly be your 15 kilobytes of fame on this planet.
Do whatever you can to make these packages public, please. I now regret
not bidding on that Newton-used trimble card & antenna on ebay last
week that was part of the same project.

> allows the user to become part of the fire-control network and call
> in strikes on a large variety of targets (it has nice little icons
> for what you want to blow up -- tanks, artillery, etc).

Large targets? Does anyone know what kind of car Jobs drives these days?

> Anyone had a chance to play with one of these Newtons, or know a
> little more about the history of the program?

I have a camo utility pouch that was offered through here a few months
ago that held the 130s. And as mentioned, some of the GPS cards and
antennae have been on eBay. Someone mentioned previously what kinds of
radios they linked up with. The fact that you have one of the actual
discharged-from-service Newts (with full honors) that hasn't been
erased is incredible.

-Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html