Re: [NTLK] Forum?

From: Steve Vander Ark (vderark_at_bccs.org)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 11:18:18 EST

Sorry, but that argument doesn't make sense. How quickly this person did =
or
didn't get a repsonse has nothing to do with the format, it has to do =
with
the participation and member base. If NewtonTalk would be set up in =
another
format, not a forum but a group which allowed a choice of either web =
view or
email, the responses wouldn't change in quality or promptness, since the
user base would be the same. The only difference would be that ALL users
would be able to access the resource in a way that was convenient for =
them.=20

I just have to say this. Those on this list who prefer the email format =
seem
unwilling or unable to understand the plight of those of us who really,
honestly struggle with this kind of overflow of email but do want to be =
part
of the group. There doesn't seem to be any interest in changing to a =
format
which would be better for everyone, even though those kinds of options =
are
easily available and are the standard now for web communications of this
type. I'm sorry if I sound a bit bitter here, but it is just so =
frustrating,
especially when in every other way this group is such a close-knit, =
helpful,
truly wonderful bunch of folks who bend over backwards for each other. =
In
this one area, our otherwise wonderful group is stuck in a very bad =
place.

Wesley, if you want to be part of this group and gain the excellent =
benefits
of it, you'll have to put up with a pretty awful reality: you're going =
have hundreds and hundreds of irrelevent emails pouring into your inbox =
from
now on. Even if you filter them into a folder, you're still going to =
have to
wade through them every day or two. You can try the digest version, =
although
in my experience all that does is force you to skim through emails which =
you
would otherwise at least be able to delete unseen. But those are your =
only
choices. We've been all through this before and it's not going to =
change.

Steve Vander Ark

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html