Re: [NTLK] Forum

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 10:20:50 EST

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Anton anton_at_the-wire.com
Date: 07 Jan 2003 08:23:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Forum

>Perhaps my experience with Wikis over the last few years, as well as
>running internal ones for documentation and design and in 'read only
>mode' as an easy way to build up a rich site, gives me a wider view of
>their capability. What first attracted me was the 'full text search'
>capability. That's great from the POV of a FAQ and repository, but
>the reality is much more.

I have to admit, over the years I've been hot and cold on Wikis. When
I was trying to learn more about my Agenda VR3 Linux PDA, about the only
decent repository of information was at http://agendawiki.com/ - and while
it looks and works nice now, back then (~ a year and a half ago) I found
it very frustrating. I think things have come a long way, though. When
someone suggested that the Newton community should have a Wiki, hey, I
had the space, and the server, so I set it up.

>You might also visit the coffee break >http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/CoffeeBreak
>and the support home page http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Support/WebHome
>to see what an active, Wiki based community is like.
>
>> And we're talking one group, on one server - sure it's a high-volume
>> list, but not as high volume as many of the high-traffic (non-binary)
>> Usenet groups.
>
>A lot to the volume is mere repetition. And that's to say nothing of the
>people who don't edit down the messages that they are replying to as
>good etiquette would require.

If a question has been asked that many times, submit an answer to the FAQ
maintainer, Daniel Padilla, and then the next time it comes up, reply
with a link.

Moving from a mailing list to pretty much anything else would be a paradigm
shift that not everyone would agree with.

If you want to talk more about this, Anton, maybe we should take it
off-list.

-Victor

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/