[NTLK] Recelled battery

From: Ferdi Ozguner (fozguner_at_ualberta.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 07:34:37 PDT

Hi Frank!

Actually you differ in opinion on a number of counts here, let me show you my
point of view.

You are correct that apple used 1200mah batteries in their NiMh Batteries
Originally.
This process uses 2100mah batteries as stated in auction. 2100/1200=1.75.
This is
how the calculation of at my 75% better was derived. It's most probable that
major sellers purchased their equipment from the same company about 1.5 yrs
ago. Of course if someone, perhaps such as yourself, begins to sell batteries
on ebay that have been recelled to 1450mah or 1800mah my auction would indeed
be incorrect.

As for battery production, you are incorrect on this count. Newton 2000/2100
batteries were all produced b/w the introduction of the Newton 2000 and ended
before the discontinuation of the 2100. Date of production appears on every
battery from apple and to date all I have ever seen on these batteries is
1997. One the production line for these batteries begins is very easy to
produce thousands of these batteries in a very short amount of time. It would
not be smart business sense to stagger production of batteries as demand
required it.

Well you have some element of truth in your next statement and this is exactly
what I'm referring to in that batteries have a lifespan. I'm sure over in
Germany, as it is here, you have expiration dates on your AA battery packages.
 It
is inevitable that batteries deteriorate over time. If improperly stored
these same batteries can leak (as I have found with many of the batteries that
I have refurbished to date).

It seems the1 year warranty that I offered was a little confusing to some.
Let me elaborate: I offer a warranty that the
battery pack will function as such for 1 year from date of purchase from me.
Of course in reality the battery will function much, much longer. The cells I
use are rated for 1000 charges (as stated in my auction).

One important note, Frank, is that when refurbishing the batteries I do not
use the procedure outlined on your website . I recell the batteries by
splitting the pack at the original seams. This has the advantage that it
*looks* better upon completion.

I'm very meticulous and my procedure takes longer because there is always the
problem of the battery pack not fitting into the Newton case after finishing
installing the cells. I spend hours on every pack that I recell. I consider
my pricing fair for the work that I do and the benefit of selling it on ebay
is the people can choose the price they want to pay, some may find the pricing
a excessive, others may find value in the price.

Ferdi

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html