Re: [NTLK] UPDATE Contest over , some ?'s

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:11:17 PST

on 3/3/03 5:32 AM, This Old Newt at rich_at_thisoldnewt.net wrote:

> I will say this last round was a bit of a flop. There were fewer than 75
> persons who even
> tried the last round. I Thought that with the 1000+ just on this list that
> there would be at
> least 4-500 players. There were never that many players in any of the rounds.
> (180 max)
> Why? I dont know. We gave away several licences to titles like NSBasic,
> InkSpot,
> Address Access and all of Catamounts Titles, Batterys for 2100, leather CAses,
> UNNA
> CD's, T-Shirts, NewtsCape, and even Newtons.

I'm not sure if I participated or not. I sure _meant_ to. I opened the page,
and did some searching, but I don't remember the questions or finding the
answers. In my case, it was probably my provider's inability to keep me
online, or a crash, or most likely, a crash linked with my provider's
inability to keep me online.

Granted, the questions could be tough, but that's part of the fun, in my
opinion. I get a kick out of those "contests" where they ask you a question,
yet the correct answer is so obvious that you would have to be an absolute
imbecile to get it wrong. I much prefer something that makes me "earn" it,
even if I lose. While searching for the answers to this year's questions, I
discovered a lot of stuff I never would have otherwise, both intellectually
stimulating and useful for my Newton, or even software. Maybe I'm odd,
however.

Be reassured that some of us appreciated it, although it is disappointing to
me that the participation was not greater. Theoretically, the final round
should have had the most participation, but maybe others had my kind of
problem...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland