Re: [NTLK] Serial /USB/Hub

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 09:05:57 PDT

Gary Meader wrote:
> I've read a hundred threads about this, but can't seem to get
> connected. My
> eMate has the Keyspan Serial to USB adapter, I've got NCU on my G4 and
> here's what goes on: I open NCU and it tells me to begin by
> establishing a
> connection to my Newton.

So what kind of connection type is set in the prefs of NCU?

> OK. I go to Dock, pick 'connect via serial, choose OS9.2.2 in the
> 'which computer' window, and tap connect. A message comes up that
> says the connection is being terminated because the desktop didn't
> respond. Apple talk is turned on, and so I try connecting via
> AppleTalk. No dice.

I would try straight serial first, so turn off AppleTalk for the
moment. BTW, did you check in the Appletalk control panel which ports
it's occupying?

> Needless to say, this is very frustrating. So, my main question(s)
> today are; Is the fact that I'm going from the eMate into a USB hub a
> problem?

No, shouldn't be the problem.

> Do I absolutely need to use the dongle I got from J&K inc. with the
> serial adapter?

No, en eMate never needs the dongle.

> And if I do, should I still pick 'serial' in the 'connect via' window?

Yes if it's set that way on both sides. (!)

Did you check out the control panel of Keyspan to make sure that
everything is hunky dory there as well?

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html