Re: [NTLK] OT Spam

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 09:07:51 PDT

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 01:26 AM, Karel Jansens wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 22:33, John M Powell wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I suspect it's something other than from this list. I've
>> been on for a long time, and get very very (very) little
>> spam. My email address is sometimes even posted in the email
>> body, which would make it easier to harvest. I did see a slight
>> increase shortly after the Blaster made it's rounds. My guess is
>> it's been harvested from some other location. Whatever you do,
>> don't ask them to take you off their list. That's guaranteed to
>> have the exact opposite response.
>
> If your e-mail client has the option of faking a bounced message (Kmail
> does, but you'd need Linux for that), I can confirm that a judicious
> use
> of that feature for a couple of weeks will reduce spam to almost zero.
>
> Of course, it helps if your ISP does some pre-filtering as well...

I have not received ANY spam at the address I use for newtontalk, so I
don't think the list itself is the source... I have been on this list
for years and years.

I have recently been playing with "Fink" which allows OSX users to
build/install any of the thousand of open source softwares available.

This includes KDE and Kmail. So OSX users that have interest in
playing with any of the standard Unix/Linux stuff should look into Fink
and the Fink Commander which provides a GUI for installing this stuff.
Some terminal experience IS REQUIRED.

Pretty incredible. Apple also provides a Xwindows terminal if you look
around the Apple website carefully.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html